Tuesday, September 9, 2008

My Two Cents.

As always, I must begin with caveats.
  • These are MY two cents. Your comments and opinions are welcome, but please refrain from (1) trying to sway my opinions (just give your own), and (2) being offended that my opinions are what they are. I neither want nor expect anyone to join in my opinion because it's mine. Everyone can make up their own minds. See below.
  • This post is not a reaction to any one person or any specific event. It comes on the heels of an event last night, but it is not specifically in response to it.
  • If you find the post offensive, please feel free to comment on it, and please include the reasons you believe it to be offensive. Or you may email me and tell me why you think it is offensive. Or you can sit quietly in a dark room being offended and twirling your pendant necklace repeatedly. Just don't go shoot up a post office or something.

When I joined this group on the fledgling web app, I was struck by a number of things. First, everyone seemed to treat everyone else with a certain level of respect. There was good-natured fun, but it was basically respectful. As time passed, more people joined the web app, and we found some who were not as prepared to be respectful towards each other, and we took care of some of them. Amy ("theamy"), for example, started with our group as a critic, and her opinions were eventually accepted by all, because she voiced them in a reasonable and respectful way. (Sorry to single you out Amy, but I hope you recognize that you're a good example.)

When the native app came out, a great number of us immediately found a home in Gingerbread, probably because it was the functional equivalent of the back of the bus, being the last of the locked rooms. The tenor changed somewhat, and my own opinion is that it became more of an adult room. Just about everyone in there was part of the group, so the talk could get a little racy, and nobody was any worse for the wear. The group has now expanded, and as things tend to do, we've begun pushing certain limits. I am not going to rail against that, because I think it corrects for itself. I would just urge those involved to be careful.

Most recently, it has been my experience that the drama that we once railed against has been replaced by a requirement that nobody's feelings ever get hurt. I think the pendulum has swung back too far. I've enjoyed my time in the rooms, and I continue to. I have a tendency to talk less often, but it's mainly because I'm playing and not paying close attention to the chat. Every time I come in, it seems, someone is apologizing for something. Do we need that?

Conflict is a part of life. I'm all for being adult and accepting the consequences of our individual actions. If you offend someone, you probably should apologize...but only if you were wrong. We come from different parts of the country. We, or our ancestors, hailed from different parts of the world. It stands to reason that our feelings and beliefs about things will be different. It also stands to reason that we will disagree. The discourse that comes from that disagreement is a good thing! It helps to see the other side of the issue, and it also helps others who may be undecided think about the issue and decide where they fall on the spectrum. I have offended pretty much all of my friends at one point or another and, make no mistake, my wife is fearful of being in public with me at least 90% of the time. However, they are still my friends, and she still goes out with me in public, although sometimes in disguise.

Indulge me for an example, and not one from the room. I am a registered Republican. I have voted in every major election since I was old enough to vote. I vote for town council, for state and federal legislatures, and for President. I have voted almost exclusively Republican. I am undecided at this time with regard to the current Presidential election. I think both tickets have pros and cons, and I believe both candidates are basically full of crap with their mandate for change. I am reminded of a political cartoon where George HW Bush and Bill Clinton are standing back to back on the line of moderation and calling each other "Radical". I have expressed these views in certain other chat rooms, and I have been regaled with everything from reasonable discourse to an oddly ironic criticism of being a Communist. But it has assisted me in moving towards a decision (one which I have no plans to share).

I am not espousing that we have lengthy political discussions. Politics and religion are aptly off limits in most general, public discussions. But what I am saying is that we should stop being so afraid of upsetting the participants, offending someone's sensibilities, or crossing one of the other peeps that we are relegated to a group of sniveling drones who do nothing but apologize to each other all day. Offend me. I promise not to take it personally, unless it's a personal attack. Remove the white paint from the walls of the room and let's show each other what we're all about. The color of life is what makes it worth living. We can be nice and pleasant and the Stepford room, or we can be friends!!!! I choose the latter, and I hope many of you join me.

11 comments:

*theamy* said...

I agree with your two cents and here's mine. I've been witness to the same things you have, and although our political stances may be different, our opinions on this are the same. I think people are way too PC whereas I'm not. It's really easy to take offense to things when someone writes them because you don't here a "tone", which is number two to body language in understanding someone's meaning of what they say. That's why I mostly don't get involved in discussions. The important ones at least.
I do enjoy conversation and seeing how everyone is or what book they've read recently or a new movie they saw. I learned a long time ago in the web app that serious conversations were just not going to fly.
What actually bothers me the most also is all the apologies and " problems " that need to be fixed. Which is why I've been room hopping. Just to get some peace and quiet. I know a select few, no names, have been doing the same. If I want drama I'll watch The Hills or some other crappy show on tv. This is supposed to be an escape. I shouldn't have to escape from it.
My experiences in here aren't all bad. There are people that are wonderful. I hope you know who you are. And thanks TC for putting this out there. Glad I'm not alone.

*theamy* said...

how could I forget
PS.....
Bear Grylls rules!
:0)

Gus said...

Tc...aka my favorite ambulance chaser...
1. For the love of god...you are soooo a lawyer. I was waiting for "and that's why, ladies and gentlemen of the jury, it's obvious that she killed him" and some sort of "I rest my case" statement, at the end of the post.

2. You know it pains me to have to agree with you ever on anything and just about kills me to admit you are right. Why do you have to go and make arguments that make so much sense? Damn you for making me say "well put and amen brotha" You'll pay for this...nobody makes me agree with them and lives to tell the tale ;^)

3. Uh...actually that's it...I have nothing else to say...rare but it does happen.

4. Turns out I was wrong I do have something else to say...see number 5.

5. I'm sorry if the ambulance chaser comment offends you...oh wait...no I'm not.

callalily - Van Nguyen said...

I agree with Amy. Whenever there's something "serious "being discussed," I stay out of it. I love everyone and all the little chats, but it does seem like there are a lot of "offending" happening in the rooms lately. I've been getting on less because of it.

<3 Gingerbread!!

cheeseheadboy said...

I want to know something...Where the hell has cheese been through all this????

surfwidow said...

ugh!
I so hate sounding like I drank the tc koolaid but well said my man! For quite some time I have been trying to figure out why a game that I enjoy playing is stressing me out. I have been room hopping in search of zen and I really enjoy the peace and quiet. It is not a slight to anyone and I think it was Theamy said the other day, "just knowing you guys are there is nice".
Ommmmmmmmm

auntieclueless said...

Wow TC, I reached that point a long time ago which is why I haven't switched over. Last winter/spring the chat room was terrific. What an outstanding mix of people and personalities. Soon there was just too much "mother hen" and "alpha male" ruling the chat room.

Eventually something about the game changed too. Surrender, Surrender, Surrender...what's the point.

So, I play Frozen Lexicon. It's a bit more mentally challenging and very very peaceful!

Jenn said...

I agree we need to chill on the bad comments, but then again people need to not take them so seriously and go on about it. If you nip it in the bud, then you can chat about something else.
I do enjoy conversation, but there are times when people are conversing on something that is obviously too personal for a chat room, so whatever I chat about seems to get ignored half the time. I don't make a big deal of it though. I just play the game which is fun.

Cadence said...

I am not so literate to put this all so eloquently ( did I spell that right?) LOL but I half or maybe more then half agree. You all know I am dealing with a lot in my real life.... I come to play to relax & escape when I can. I have found myself hoping around to even bought the poker so I can go play somewhere and just relax. It all started for me when someone made the snide comment about my halo. Then I started noticing people being hurtful to each other and tiffs and arguments why can't we all be adults?? Last I checked most of us ARE adults. Why is it that online brings out some seriously childish behavior???? I have noticed this a lot. My husband and I run an online chat program and we have found this alot. We are all so different why not celebrate the differences learn from one another (yes we aren't to old to learn something new!!) and just relax and escape and make new friends that we wouldn't otherwise get to meet if it wasn't for this little game. We don't have to be better then one another smarter or more popular. This should be like coming home!!! Don't get me wrong I love ya all and I love the differences we all bring to the table. I just think the drama if you would is more then we all need. It does nothing but tear us all apart and add to our already stressful lives. My two cents for what it's worth.

beannbaggsss said...

so here's the stupid 16 year old's opinion.

The room sucks lately. Everyone is split, everyone is in a bad mood. And nobody has fun anymore. I live my day to day life going school work homework bed. School work homework bed. School work homework bed. This room used to be a break from stupid teenage life. I used to have so much fun In the room, and now it sucks.

We used to get togeather and have stupid meaningless fun conversations. NOT anymore. I come in. Say hi. And feel bad because I know 5 of my other friends are in another room. I can't talk much any more either. I think most of the sexual jokes are hillarious. But Im pretty sure that a crowd of people above the age of 25 would not enjoy a 16 year olds two cents on the subject.

I'm game for whatever. But I agree that lately, the room bites.

ManiacalPeach said...

Cady, I have to say something - I was there whenthat comment was made and I know for a fact that not only was it most definitely *not* a snide remark, but that it came from a place of admiration and love. You have done so much for your husband and others, you do indeed have a bright, shining halo. You are an angel. I am sorry you weren't able to see the compliment and only saw snark. That person would never knowingly hurt you, and it's important you know that.