Friday, June 13, 2008

Exhausting.

Ok, last night was completely exhausting. But I will admit that it was also kind of good for me to get a little release out of my system. For reasons that some of you know, I have been majorly pissy for a couple days. So I'm sorry if that has translated into me being moody or short with any of you palz. I am not sorry, however, to the person I voted to mute yesterday.

I don't know if any of my detractors (I won't be calling anyone out) even read this blog, but I think an explanation is still warranted. Backlike was muted because the things he was saying were (1) untrue, (2) offensive, and (3) designed solely to offend and get a rise out of people. For those who weren't there, he started off by describing himself as a girl who others described as a skank. He then said made some offensive remarks about why these fictitious people were being hurtful towards the fictitious person he was pretending to be. Without trying to pat myself on the back, I sniffed him out pretty quickly. He admitted that he was a loser pretending to be something he wasn't and being offensive about it, so I voted to mute him. I did not lobby for people to join in, but jazzy had already had enough of him and joined me. Then he called me the Hitler of the chatroom, and at least 4 others decided that was the last straw.

I am prepared to reap what I sow. I think I proved that last night to at least one detractor. If I do or say something offensive, I am prepared to be muted. (especially if my dex turn out as well as surfy's did) If you think I'm being hypocritical or unfair, tell me, but expect that I will defend myself. I am far less likely to mute someone than some. I don't mute for cursing, innuendo or other similar things. I'm not a cop, and I'm not a parent to anyone in the room. If I find you offensive, I can assure you that many others do as well. But my skin is thick, and I'm comfortable in my choices.

A final point from the lawyer in me. The Constitution and Bill of Rights does not guarantee free speech. It guarantees that you will be free from government oppression of your right to freedom of expression and speech. Last time I checked, I was not a government official. You are free to say anything you like in the room, but your choice is not without consequence. If you choose to be offensive, you run the risk that others in the room will block you from continuing it. In short, you have the right to be a jerk, just as others have the right to stop you from being a jerk in their presence. Thus endeth the Social Studies lesson.

3 comments:

Kimmy420 said...

Thank you, TC!
You are definately appreciated.

surfwidow said...

Thx tc for explaining that so beautifully. I was just called a horrible name in the chat room and muted that person. I feel it was warranted. I rec'd a lot of grief from a couple of people for doing that but apparently others found it offensive also or it would not have been successful. Stating an opinion is not mute worthy but calling someone a horrible name is. I dont like muting anyone but if someone can make me cry by the name they called me it should not be allowed!

Greeds Creed said...

i totally 99.9999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999%
agree with you tc and i hope that all of this "muting nonsense" will just come to a close and none of us have to police the room just to keep it safe, i mean people should just think before they speak and be curtious to others around them, not be a 'jerk' and call people mean names so that they end up crying in the end. what kind of heartless fool would ever think of being that way. not be. well anyway this is just my opinion i hope it counts.

Bruce